Friday, 24 October 2014

Insomnia

Darkness surrounds me, the absence of light usually signifies that the body must rest. It is 1am. My alarm will go off in five hours and fifteen minutes and I will curse myself for not getting enough sleep.
It's not that I don't want to sleep, I am tired and want nothing more than to slip into a world where there is nothing to worry about.  My body will not rest.
I close my eyes, pulling my duvet around myself to try and lull my mind into believing that everything is alright, yet this does nothing.
I stare at the darkness between me and the ceiling, letting my mind wander in search of peace.
The distant drone of the traffic on the motorway keeps me grounded though, normally it's a constant comforting noise; signalling that all is in order out there. Tonight it is a distraction from the dreams I could be having.
It reminds me that regardless of what I want, the world will keep going and will cease to consider my wishes. That regardless of my troubles this planet will continue existing.
Maybe it's these thoughts that keep me from resting; this world is just reminding me that time will keep passing, whether I want it to or not.

2 comments:

  1. I felt like this ... only at half three in the morning last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that sometimes, although you don't want time to pass, when it does and you've moved on or accepted the changes, things get easier :) x

    ReplyDelete